,

Five Bodies Found Shot Dead in La Cruz, Guanacaste

Photo for illustrative purposes

Guanacaste once again wakes up in mourning. At dawn today, Saturday, July 29, authorities confirmed the finding of five bodies in a farm (finca) in Monte Plata, in La Cruz, near the border with Nicaragua.

The finding was reported to police around 1:00am.

According to first reports, the victims are an elderly couple and three men between 25 and 35 years old, all related.

The victims had been shot.

Paramedics and agents of the Organismo de Investigación Judicial (OIJ) arrived at the scene after 3:00am, given the location is difficult to access, the Los Solís farm, being a two-hour walk from the point at which vehicles can access.

The Ministro de Seguridad Publica (MSP), Gustavo Mata, confirmed the crime before 9:00am this morning but did not provide details of what had occurred.

Because of the remoteness of the site, the Minister said it will in the afternoon before any report is available to the press.

For his part, Walter Espinoza, head of the OIJ, said a team of two investigators and six officials in gathering evidence and removing the bodies were on their way to the scene of the crime.

Espinoza assured that the strike by Judicial workers will not affect the investigation.

On January 19 last, Gerardo Alonso Ríos Mairena, 33, murdered five university students and seriously injured a minor in an apartment in Liberia.

In February 2016, the province experienced another massacre, in Matapalo, a passionate crime that left five bodies – including three children. In that case, the “Matapalo Monster”, as the killer came to be known, fled to his native land of Nicaragua, where he was tried for the crimes and convicted to 183 years in prison. Nicaragua’s constitution does not permit extradition, but can and has convicted its citizens for crimes committed abroad.