Venezuelan opposition leader and self-proclaimed interim president, Juan Guaido, has formally requested the support of United States military forces in the ongoing socio-political crisis in the country, a letter published by his representative Carlos Vecchio said on Monday.

“We welcome strategic and operational planning so that we may fulfill our constitutional obligation to the Venezuelan people in order to alleviate their suffering and restore our democracy”, Vecchio said in the letter to Admiral Craig Faller,  commander of United States Southern Command (SOUTHCOM).

In the letter, which is dated May 11 and published by Vecchio on Twitter on Monday (13), he requested a meeting between SOUTHCOM and “the appropriate members” of Guaido’s inner circle.

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.jsThe announcement comes after Guaido said that he had asked Vecchio to meet with U.S. Department of Defence officials to “cooperate” on a solution to the Venezuelan crisis.

Last week, speaking to CBS, Guaido said that he was still considering a possible U.S. intervention as an “option”, claiming that he was trying to find the “best way out of [the] conflict”.

Guaido’s statement followed an interview by U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo with ABC, during which he said that President Donald Trump had “his full range of Article 2 authorities” when it comes to possible military action in Venezuela.

The United States and more than 50 other countries, including most countries in Europe and South America, recognize Guaido.

Russia, China, Cuba, Turkey and numerous other countries continue their support for  Nicolas Maduro, as the only legitimate head of state in Venezuela.

Maduro has called Guaido a U.S. puppet and accused the United States of orchestrating a coup in Venezuela to effect a forced change of government and claim the country’s resources.

Article originally appeared on Today Venezuela and is republished here with permission.

Comments

0 comments

Originally published on Qcostarica.com. Read the original.