,

Venezuelan Dictatorship Arrests Thousands after 7 Weeks of Protests

Opposition leader, Henrique Capriles Radonski, who serves as Governor of the state of Miranda

The death toll and causality count have been mounting at an alarming speed in Venezuela, as protests continue past the 50-day mark, and dictator Nicolás Maduro intensifies attempts to repress public outcry against the political and economic crisis his administration has created.

The country’s opposition leader, Henrique Capriles Radonski, who serves as Governor of the state of Miranda, recently reported protests statistics, claiming there have been more than 2,000 detainees, 13,000 injured, 40 members of congress beaten and 48 people killed in more than 51 days of demonstrations.

Some of these statistics, he said, came from the Public Ministry as well as NGOs.

Capriles also said the number of detainees may be even higher than the reported 2,632, nearly half of whom have been deprived of their freedoms.

The governor said that 331 civilians have been tried in military court, 168 of which have been sentenced to imprisonment. By May 21, 13,000 people had been injured, of which 40 were members of congress. Capriles denounced the torture of detainees.

“I publicly denounce that they continue to torture detainees and force them to accuse opposition leaders, to say that we finance them,” Capriles said. “We know what is happening and what the state security forces are doing.”

Coordinator of the Criminal Forum in Carabobo, Luis Betancourt, has also reported allegations of torture by security forces. He said most detainees are beaten during arrest and are transferred to a temporary detention site before facing a judge.

Sources: La Patilla; El Nacional.

Article originally appeared on Today Venezuela and is republished here with permission.